Present academic and research position: Professor (from 1980), Chair of Mathematical Physics and Applied Mathematics, Politecnico of Torino, Italy. Emeritus from 2015. Non resident Fellow of “Collegio Carlo Alberto” Torino.
Field of scientific interest: Mathematical kinetic theory, nonlinear partial differential equations, mathe- matical tools toward modeling complex systems.
Academic, National and International Boards
- Member of the Governing Board of the Istituto Nazionale di Alta Matematica (I.N.D.A.M.) (2003–2006).
- President of the Italian Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (S.I.M.A.I.) (from 2009).
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the European Mathematical Society.
Scientific Direction of EC Programs (Recent):
- Research Training Network: Modeling, mathematical methods and computer simulation of tumour growth and therapy (2004–2007) (Coordinator of the European Network).
- Health - Collaborative Large-scale project: FP7, No 202047. - 2008 - Resolve Chronic Inflammation and achieve healthy ageing by understanding non-regenerative repair (WP Coordinator).
- Safety Call - Collaborative Integration Project: FP7 - eVACUATE - An end-to-end situational awareness, guidance and evacuation system for large crowds.
- Simulation Platform for the Analysis of Crowds Behaviour in Urban Environments with Training and Predictive Capabilities “SAFECITI” FP7.
Distinguished Lectures (recent):
- Shanks Lecture at Vanderbilt University, May (2009), “Modeling the Immune Competition”.
- “Luis Santal ́o” (2013), Santander, SPAIN: Mathematics of Planet Earth Scientific Challenges, Lectures on “Complex Systems”.
- Imperial College Lecture on “Crowd and Social Dynamics”.
- Special Lecture at Oberwolfach Workshop (2014) “Mathematical Models for Cancer Cell Migrations”.
Editor in Chief of Journals:
- Journal: Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences (From 1991, with Franco Brezzi).
- Journal: European Mathematical Society: Surveys in Mathematical Sciences (From 2013 to 2017).
Books: Author of 10 books from Mathematical Topics in Nonlinear Kinetic Theory - The Boltz- mann Equation, World Scientific, (1988), (with A. Palczewski and G. Toscani); to A Quest Towards a Mathematical Theory of Living Systems, Birkh ̈auser-Springer, (2017), (with A. Bellouquid, L. Gibelli and N. Outada).
TOP Italian Scientists: http://www.topitalianscientists.org
Highly Cited, Influential Minds from 2014 by Clarivate, WEB of Science